Double the miracle: Patient credits Edward with saving his life, twice

February 07, 2017 | by Edward-Elmhurst Health
Categories: Healthy Driven Heroes

Spending New Year’s Eve in the hospital wasn’t what Manuel Hernandez and his wife, Lorena, had in mind. But if they hadn’t, he might not be able to walk today.

Hernandez went to the hospital for an MRI of his spine on Dec. 31, 2015, after six months of increasing back pain and several sessions with a chiropractor, which made him feel worse. On reviewing the initial MRI, radiologist LeRoy Stromberg, M.D., discovered a large tumor on the lower portion of Hernandez’s spine.

Given the tumor’s size, doctors were amazed that he was still walking and kept him in the hospital, so they could begin treatment as soon as possible. A delay would’ve left Hernandez permanently paralyzed from the waist down.

Hernandez’s treatment plan included surgery on Jan. 6, 2016, to remove the tumor and stabilize the spine, followed by radiation and chemotherapy. On Jan. 5, he underwent a diagnostic spinal angiogram and tumor embolization, performed by Sameer Ansari, M.D., PhD., an interventional neuroradiologist with the Institute.

In this procedure, Dr. Ansari located the arteries feeding the tumor and obliterated nearly 90 percent of the blood flow supplying the tumor. This, in turn, would reduce the amount of blood that Hernandez would lose the next day during the operation, allowing for safe and more complete removal of the tumor.

Neurosurgeons from Edward Neurosciences Institute teamed up to perform the surgery, which lasted between five and six hours and included two parts: tumor removal and spinal fusion.

They first peeled the muscles from the spine, to expose the tumor, and one of the neurosurgeons removed it. Another neurosurgeon then set about the second part of the surgery – fusing the affected vertebrae together with screws and rods.

The doctors used bone chips and bone cement to fill in gaps left when the tumor was removed. Bone chips come from donors, and they’re akin to honeycomb, with all of the donor’s cells removed. The blood cells of the receiving patient move into the chips and form new bone.

Hernandez went home on Jan. 9, and soon after started radiation, followed by chemotherapy, which left him feeling fatigued. He also had trouble eating and sleeping, so after several months, he quit the chemo treatments.

“He said, ‘No. I don’t want to keep living this way. I prefer quality (of life) to quantity,’” according to his wife, Lorena.

In the time since, he’s returned to eating and sleeping well. He also exercises regularly, walking on a treadmill and swimming.

“If you saw my husband before the surgery – the way he is now is 100 percent better,” Lorena said.

As it turns out, this wasn’t Hernandez’s first life-saving surgery at Edward. In 2008, he suffered a work-related injury and sought treatment at the hospital.

While there, doctors discovered a large, cancerous tumor on his left kidney, which was later removed. Fortunately, the tumor was completely enclosed, so he didn’t require follow-up radiation or chemotherapy.

Lorena remains grateful to the doctors, nurses and medical staff for taking excellent care of her husband.

“Overall, we’ve had wonderful experiences with Edward. I always speak highly of the hospital.”

Heredity and heart

Heart disease in your family? Knowing the answer could save your life

Among the more common heart disorders that are sometimes inherited are arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, high blood...

Read More

Headache blog June 2023 newsletter

Pounding headache? Relief is possible

Different types of headaches are caused by different things, and some are easier to relieve than others.

Read More


What's so bad about sugar?

Overdoing refined carbs could make you feel tired, look older, and could lead to life-threatening diseases.

Read More