EMS and paramedic education
Applications for the 2021 Paramedic class will be accepted through September 3, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Applications submitted after the September 3, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. deadline will be for the 2022 program.
To access the College of DuPage website, please click here.
Edward Paramedic Application Packet
At Edward-Elmhurst Health, we are thankful for the strong relationships we have built with area first responders. Each and every day, we work closely together with area paramedics, fire and police, to provide outstanding care to community members in-need.
As an EMS Resource Hospital, Edward is responsible for mobilizing area first responders and hospitals in the case of a mass casualty disaster, and directing and coordinating the response. Elmhurst Hospital is also prepared and equipped to care for victims of a large scale disaster.
In addition, both hospitals provide paramedic continuing education. Edward Hospital's Paramedic Education Program, for those seeking a career in this field, is affiliated with College of DuPage (COD). Students enrolled in the program earn 36 hours of college credit and are considered full time students.
Paramedic education program information
The Edward Paramedic Education Program trains students to be professionals who provide care with compassion and respect. We accept 16 students per year, who earn excellent passing rates on the National Registry Exam.
Edward's Emergency Medical Services system runs only one paramedic education program a year. The one-year program starts in January, and meets from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays. The didactic and clinical rotation portion of our program starts in January and ends in July, while the field internship cohort starts at the end of July.
Our paramedic program is successful because we offer:
- Smaller class size
- Evidence-based course content based on the Paramedic National Education Standards
- Faculty with extensive knowledge and experience, both in the field and the classroom
- Multiple clinical rotations throughout Edward Hospital
- Affiliation with a hospital with a reputation for excellence, a Level II trauma center, and a culture that puts a priority on making things easier and less stressful for patients
- Field internship experience with our outstanding EMS providers: Bolingbrook Fire Department, Darien-Woodridge Fire Protection District, Lisle-Woodridge Fire Protection District, Naperville Fire Department, Romeoville Fire Department, and the Warrenville Fire Protection District
- Training in practical interpersonal skills
- Authorized by the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Certification for students in: Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) and Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (TECC)
Applications for the 2021 Paramedic class will be accepted through September 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm. Applications submitted after the September 3, 2020 at 5:00 pm deadline will be for the 2022 program. Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be certified through the National Registry or State of Illinois as an Emergency Medical Technician (If accepted into the program, students must have a State of Illinois EMT license)
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Completion of a Basic Anatomy / Physiology Course (or higher) and a Medical Terminology Course
- Must have a valid healthcare provider CPR card
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must submit three (3) letters of recommendation with the application
- Must complete the paramedic reading and writing competency requirements at College of DuPage during the application process (only if EMT training was not completed at COD)
- Successfully pass the entrance exam
- Complete an oral interview process
- If selected into Edward Hospital’s Paramedic Education Program, the student will be responsible for completing mandatory health requirements, applying for a background check, and purchasing textbooks and uniforms.
The Edward Hospital Paramedic Education Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
Forms and resources
Even people of action have to deal with paperwork. Read on for access to printable forms and relevant links.
2019 Standing Medical Orders (SMO)
Edward Hospital Emergency Medical Services Policies & Procedures
State of Illinois IDPH forms
EMS Outside the Box Training
Left Ventricular Assist Device - Powerpoint
Edward Hospital Alerts! - Powerpoint
Request for letters of good standing
Child support statement
Change of status/address
Independent renewal form
Pharmacy drug exchange form
Pyxis access form
EHEMSS communication form
Emergency medical system extension application
Edward Hospital Paramedic Program Outcome Assessment