Pregnancy and baby
Having a baby is life-changing. It’s a time filled with many important decisions, starting with where you choose to give birth. If you’re like most families, you want the best.
At Edward-Elmhurst Health, we recognize that no two families, and no two births, are alike. You may be a single mother. You may be a surrogate mother. You may have a spouse or a partner. Every family is looking for something different — and at Edward-Elmhurst, you’ll find it all.
Our Family Birthing Centers provide expert care from the minute you decide to have a baby until well after your child is born. But we don’t stop there. In this beautiful place where babies enter the world, you’ll find something beyond clinical expertise. Here, you’ll find respect for individual choice.
What makes us different
Many expectant parents have trusted us with their care, and it shows. Edward-Elmhurst Health welcomes over 5,500 babies into the world annually.
With our individualized approach, you guide your birthing plan your way. From innovative, specialized labor and delivery services, including midwifery at Elmhurst Hospital, to private birthing suites, deluxe family amenities and highly-equipped nurseries, our Family Birthing Centers combine state-of-the-art technology with personalized, expert medical care — all wrapped in the comforts of home.
National recognition for maternity care
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois recognized our hospitals as Blue Distinction® Centers for Maternity Care, as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. The designations signify that our maternity departments met nationally established selection criteria by demonstrating expertise in delivering quality specialty care, safely and effectively.
Edward Hospital received Blue Distinction® Plus (+) Centers for Maternity Care designation and Elmhurst Hospital received Blue Distinction® Centers for Maternity Care designation.
Learn more about our quality of care
Pregnancy and baby services
Edward-Elmhurst provides a full range of pregnancy and baby services, including:
- Innovative, specialized treatment: You’ll have access to ultra-innovative technology, enhanced birthing methods and specialized care for high-risk births and multiples.
- Medical expertise: You’ll have your own dedicated birthing team, including board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists, specially trained nurses and nationally-certified midwives, who are advanced practice nurses.
- Personalized care: A nurse will be assigned to you one-on-one during active labor. We truly listen to you and let you guide your birthing plan.
- Comfortable private rooms: You’ll have your own private, deluxe, fully-equipped birthing suite and mother/baby room so you and your family feel at home.
- Fully-equipped nurseries: Your baby will have access to the highest level ofcare provided in the Level III Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Edward Hospital, and extended capabilities in the Level IIe Special Care Nursery at Elmhurst Hospital.
- Helpful resources: You’ll have access to a variety of classes and support groups to help prepare for pregnancy, childbirth and caring for your newborn.
We know you want the best for you and your baby. Count on Edward-Elmhurst to provide an experience that’s second to none. We’re committed to providing you with a safe, optimal birthing experience geared toward your individual needs and preferences. Because that’s what every new mom deserves.
Your care team
At Edward-Elmhurst, you and your baby are cared for by some of the best medical, nursing and ancillary experts available. Your dedicated care team includes board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists and neonatologists, nationally-certified midwives, and specially trained nurses, including labor and delivery and neonatal. You’ll also have access to maternal-fetal medicine specialists and pediatric subspecialists.
Tours, classes & events
Whether you’re preparing for your baby’s arrival or caring for your newborn, our tours, classes and events offer education and support. Sign up for a class today.