Preparing for Childbirth (Elmhurst Hospital)
- Childbirth Weeknight Series - This is a series of classes that helps parents-to-be prepare for their baby‛s birth by hearing about what to expect during labor and during their hospital stay. Topics include the signs of labor, breathing and relaxation techniques, what to expect at the Hospital, pain relief, and information about epidurals and cesarean sections. This class meets on 4 consecutive Wednesday evenings. A tour is included.
- Childbirth Express - This is a one-day, condensed version of the Childbirth series. The same topics will be taught, but in a condensed version. A tour is included.
- Natural Childbirth - This program is designed to prepare families for pregnancy, birth, and postpartum with an emphasis on natural pain relief techniques. Subjects covered include exercise, anatomy, physiology, stages of labor, informed decision-making, comfort measures and labor positions. Taught by a certified childbirth educator. A tour is included.
- Sibling at Birth – This class, taught by a childbirth instructor, can help prepare your other children for your new baby’s birth. This 1-2 hour individualized class is required for those who desire to have their other child attend the birth of the new baby. You’ll need a support person for your child, and a note from your OB doctor giving permission for your child to be present at the birth.
Prepared Childbirth (Edward Hospital)
- Childbirth Weeknight Series - This is the most comprehensive childbirth class, allowing more time for hands-on practice and discussion with instructor and other classmates. Participants benefit from interaction with other couples in similar circumstances, hearing other perspectives and questions, more practice time, and shorter individual class sessions for the tired mom-to-be. This class meets on a weeknight for 3 weeks.
- Childbirth Sunday Series - This provides basic information from the Prepared Childbirth class, but in a faster-paced format. This is a good option for those whose schedule will not allow the weeknight classes. This class meets on 2 consecutive Sunday afternoons.
- Childbirth Marathon Weekend - This provides basic information from the Prepared Childbirth class, but in a faster-paced format. This is another good option for those whose schedule will not allow the weeknight classes. This class meets on both Saturday and Sunday of the same weekend.
- Childbirth Express - This is a one-day, shortened version of the Childbirth series. The same topics will be taught, but in a condensed version. A tour is included. This class meets on a Saturday or a Sunday.
Childbirth Refresher - If you have previously taken a childbirth class or had a baby and would like a refresher on specific topics, please contact Susan Bard at (630) 527-7685 for more information and to have your questions answered.
Cesarean Birth - This free online class is for those who are anticipating having a scheduled Cesarean delivery. It includes a video and photos to familiarize you with what to expect before and after delivery. Recovery and postpartum issues are also covered.
Sibling at Birth - This class, taught by a childbirth instructor, can help prepare your other children for your new baby’s birth. This 1-2 hour individualized class is required for those who desire to have their other child attend the birth of the new baby. You’ll need a support person for your child, and a note from your OB doctor giving permission for your child to be present at the birth.
Multiples - Now a free online class. Register online for the class during the current month. You will receive an email with the link to the class which can be completed at your leisure. This class covers information about having multiples at Edward Hospital and how pregnancy and birth of multiples differs from that of a single baby. We also recommend that you take a Prepared Childbirth class if this is your first pregnancy. If you have any questions about this class, please call Susan Bard at (630) 527-7685.
Register for a childbirth class
Babycare PLUS - Topics include basic baby care skills such as holding a newborn, swaddling, and bathing & diapering a newborn, cord care, circumcision care, jaundice, and special techniques for comforting a fussy baby. Car seat safety for your newborn will be taught, and if you have already purchased a car seat, you are encouraged to bring the carrier portion to class for practice buckling in a baby correctly. Infant CPR will also be practiced (this is not a certification class). Dads are encouraged to attend.
Breastfeeding - This class is taught by an international board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) or a certified lactation counselor. Learn the basics of breastfeeding to help you and your baby get off to a good start! Topics include how breastfeeding works, correct latch-on and positioning, when to feed your baby, how to tell if baby is getting enough, breast care, common problems and tips, and pumping. Dads or partners are encouraged to attend!
Daddy Boot Camp - This 3-hour father-to-father workshop is led by a Master Coach with the assistance of experienced fathers ("veterans") and their new babies. Expectant fathers ("rookies") will gain confidence as they have hands-on opportunities to comfort a real baby, change a diaper, swaddle, and much more. Concerns will be addressed about becoming a new dad, forming a new family, and caring for new moms.
Sibling - This class is taught at Edward Hospital. Children ages 3-7 years can learn what to expect when a new little sister or brother arrives and will practice how to hold baby (with parent's help), diapering, and swaddling a baby. One parent is required to attend with the child, but both parents are welcome. A video tour of the Maternity Suites will be shown, which includes "what a newborn looks like.” If registering two siblings of different ages, please register both for the class appropriate for the younger one.
Grandparenting - For new grandparents and grandparents-to-be to learn what's new and what's changed recently in baby care, while also learning new grandparenting skills. You will also learn the correct way to buckle up an infant in a car seat. A brief tour of the Family Birth Center will be given to show grandparents where to come when visiting their new grandbaby.
Infant and Child Safety - This is a free E-learning class which provides information on "baby-proofing" your home. Car seat safety for toddlers and older children is also covered. (CPR and First Aid are not covered in this class.)
CPR for Family and Friends - This American Heart Association's Family & Friends CPR Course is a video-based classroom course which teaches adult Hands-Only™ CPR, Child CPR, Infant CPR and how to relieve choking in an adult, child or infant. Skills are taught using the AHA's research-proven Practice-While-Watching technique, which allows participants to practice skills while watching consistent, accurate modeling of skills performance on the DVD. Adult, child and infant skills are presented in three separate modules for added flexibility. (THIS IS NOT A CERTIFICATION COURSE) The Family & Friends CPR Course is for members of the general public who want to learn CPR and prefer to learn in an instructor-led or facilitated group environment. This course is for people who do NOT need a course completion card for a job or other requirements.
Infant Massage - Learn how infant massage will benefit you and your baby. Practice massage techniques on your baby while learning from a certified infant massage therapist. Topics include:
- The many benefits of infant massage
- How to bond with baby by using massage
- Techniques to encourage positive infant digestive health
- Ways to promote healthy sleep habits and help your baby relax
One-on-one consultation sessions are available at Edward-Elmhurst Health & Fitness in Naperville and are 30 to 60-minutes long. Call to book your appointment: 630-646-7980.
Register for a parenting or infant care class