Surgery is an integral part of many cancer treatments. Nearly all cancer patients require at least one surgical procedure, for biopsy, tumor removal, or for something more complex. Surgery offers a good chance of full recovery in cases where cancer has not spread to other areas of the body.
The Department of Surgical Oncology at Edward-Elmhurst Health provides expert cancer surgery. Our multidisciplinary approach means our specialists team up, sharing knowledge and skills to determine the right treatment for you.
Treating cancer with advanced surgical options
Our surgical oncologists in Naperville and Elmhurst have diverse experience in specialized technologies and minimally invasive techniques. We surgically treat a variety of cancers, including:
Your cancer surgery team
Our cancer surgeons have trained at some of the nation's most prestigious medical centers. They work as a team, drawing on their specialized training to deliver expert care for people with cancer.
Our surgical oncology team includes experts such as:
- George Salti, M.D., a renowned, fellowship-trained surgical oncologist, and medical director of surgical oncology. Dr. Salti has been performing HIPEC, an advanced procedure for abdominal cancers, longer than any other Chicago-area surgeon.
- Fadi Dahdaleh, M.D., a complex general surgical oncologist
- Christine Gresik, M.D., a dedicated breast surgeon
The team also includes board-certified surgeons who specialize in plastic and reconstructive surgery and a hepatologist with the Walter Payton Liver Center Outreach Clinic. We also collaborate with urologists, neurosurgeons, thoracic surgeons and ENT surgeons.
Supporting your total well-being
Our physicians work alongside a dedicated oncology support team. Since they care for people with cancer every day, the team understands your unique situation and needs. Support team members include:
- Dedicated oncology nurses
- Nurse navigators who provide personalized treatment guidance
- Licensed clinical social workers and therapists who provide emotional support
- Nutritional counselors
- Certified oncology pharmacists who are experts in chemotherapy and medications to minimize side effects
Cancer surgery procedures
Our goal with surgery is always to provide the most effective treatment in the least invasive manner. The type of surgery you receive depends on many factors, including the type, size, location and stage of the tumor. Surgery may be combined with other cancer treatments, such as chemo or radiation.
If you're dealing with a cancer that has advanced beyond surgical removal, you still have options. Some of the advanced procedures we perform include:
- HIPEC. Many people don’t know they can get HIPEC outside of academic medical centers. We are one of the few systems in the Chicagoland area to offer HIPEC — right here in Naperville.
- Hepatic artery infusion
- Isolated limb infusion
- da Vinci® surgical system
We'll listen to you and review your treatment options in clear terms so you know exactly what to expect before, during and after your cancer surgery.
Find an Edward-Elmhurst surgical oncologist
Learn how to prepare for cancer surgery
Related Clinical Trials