Robotic and minimally invasive surgery
With the minimally invasive surgical options offered at Edward-Elmhurst, surgery doesn’t have to be a pain. Our specially-trained surgeons offer the latest robotic, laparoscopic, arthroscopic, endoscopic and other minimally invasive options for a wide range of conditions that once required traditional open surgery.
Find a surgeon
What is minimally invasive surgery?
Minimally invasive procedures are performed using tiny, narrow instruments passed through tubes with a miniature camera attached. These tools allow the surgeon to see inside the body without making the large incisions required in traditional surgery. The camera gives the surgeon clear and magnified views of the surgical area throughout the procedure for greater precision and control.
Benefits of robotic and minimally invasive surgery
Because this technology uses fewer, smaller incisions, you benefit from:
- Less post-operative pain
- Less blood loss
- Less scarring
- Lower risk of infection
- Shorter recovery time
- Faster return to your normal activities
Minimally invasive techniques are not appropriate for all patients and all surgeries. Talk with your doctor about your surgical options or contact one of our surgical specialists at Edward-Elmhurst to learn more.
da Vinci® robotic surgery
The da Vinci Surgical System—one of the most advanced surgical technologies available—offers a minimally invasive alternative for many complex surgical procedures. The system allows your surgeon to insert miniature instruments and a tiny high-definition 3D camera through a series of quarter-inch incisions.
Working at a control panel near the operating table, your surgeon uses hand controls to guide robotic arms holding laparoscopic surgical instruments. The system’s technology converts the surgeon’s hand movements into delicate and precise movements of the instruments. The robotic "wrists" can rotate a full 360 degrees, providing access to hard-to-reach areas of the body and unprecedented accuracy, flexibility and range of motion.
da Vinci's Xi, now available at Edward-Elmhurst Health, takes robotic technology to another level, featuring an instrument arm that passes over the operating table, eliminating the need to move the patient and allowing the surgeon-operated robot access from virtually any angle, as well as a bed that responds to the robot's movements, angling the patient as needed.
Find a surgeon that is credentialed for the da Vinci surgical system at Edward-Elmhurst.
Interventional radiology is another innovative alternative to traditional surgery offered at Edward-Elmhurst.
Edward-Elmhurst's robotic surgeons are specially trained to perform a wide range of medical procedures using the da Vinci Surgical System, including:
- Adrenalectomy – surgical removal of adrenal gland tumors
- Bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy - surgical removal of both ovaries and both fallopian tubes when cancer is present
- Cholecystectomy - surgical removal of the gallbladder
- Colon surgery
- Colpopexy – surgery to correct prolapse of the vagina
- Cystectomy - surgical removal of all or part of the bladder
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Hernia repair
- Hysterectomy - surgical removal of the uterus
- Kidney procedures, including pyeloplasty to relieve uretero-pelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction
- Liver surgery
- Myomectomy - surgical removal of uterine fibroids
- Nephrectomy/partial nephrectomy - surgical removal of a kidney or part of a kidney
- Oophorectomy - surgical removal of one or both ovaries
- Orchiopexy - surgery to move an undescended testicle into the scrotum
- Ovarian cystectomy – surgical removal of a cyst from an ovary
- Prostatectomy - surgical removal of the prostate gland
- Rectal Surgery
- Rectoplasty – surgical treatment of rectal prolapse
- Sacrocolpopexy – surgical repair for pelvic organ prolapse
- Thoracic procedures – evaluation of mediastinal lymph nodes, surgical removal of tumors in the chest cavity and lungs, and surgical removal of all or part of a lung
- Transanal Minimally Invasive Surgery (TAMIS) – a specialized minimally invasive surgical approach for removing benign polyps and early stage cancerous tumors from the rectum and lower colon
- Transoral surgery – surgical removal of oral cancers
Edward-Elmhurst specialists treat a broad range of medical conditions using the da Vinci Surgical System, including:
- Adrenal gland abnormalities
- Benign gynecology
- Cervical cancer
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Colon cancer
- Endometriosis and pelvic pain
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Kidney cancer
- Oral cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Pelvic, uterine and vaginal prolapse
- Prostate cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Thoracic tumors and growths
- Tubal ligation reversal
- Uretero-pelvic junction (UPJ) obstruction
- Uterine cancer
- Uterine fibroids