Breast cancer nurse navigators
Breast cancer nurse navigators specialize in the care of breast cancer patients. They are registered nurses who are also patient educators and care guides with a mission to improve the cancer treatment experience for patients.
Every breast cancer patient in our Breast Cancer Center has her own nurse navigator. Your nurse navigator will assist you and your family immediately following your diagnosis all the way through treatment and into survivorship.
Nurse navigators also help coordinate services for patients with some benign conditions, as well as patients in our High Risk Breast Clinic.
Meet our breast cancer nurse navigators
How does your nurse navigator help you?
Breast cancer is unique to every women, so every woman's treatment is tailored to her. Your nurse navigator will meet with you early on to help you better understand your diagnosis and treatment options, and then help you navigate through your individualized plan to ensure your needs are met.
Specifically, your breast cancer nurse navigator will:
- Work with your radiologist and surgeon to coordinate your care after your diagnosis, ensuring a smooth transition into treatment.
- Attend the weekly Multidisciplinary Tumor Board conferences.
- Coordinate care between your surgeons, oncologists and other members of your multidisciplinary care team.
- Arrange for your appointments, testing procedures and genetic counseling, if applicable.
- Answer your questions regarding testing, surgical procedures, treatment options and more.
- Support you through surgeries, including educating you about drainage and home care.
- Refer you to social workers and outside community resources to address any specific concerns (e.g., time off of work, childcare, family issues, etc.).
How to contact a nurse navigator
Your nurse navigator is here to address your questions and concerns throughout your breast cancer journey. You’ll be able to contact your nurse navigator directly with any issues.
To schedule an appointment in our Breast Cancer Center, talk to your doctor, or contact us and a nurse navigator will answer your questions or schedule an appointment for you to meet with our Breast Center care team. For Edward Hospital, call 630-527-5365. For Elmhurst Hospital, call 331-221-6036.