A concussion is a traumatic injury to the brain that can cause neurometabolic changes in the brain. This is often not visualized through MRI or CT Scan. Approximately 1-4 million sport related concussions occur each year in the United States. Although approximately 80 percent of individuals recover within 3 weeks, 20 percent of athletes take over 3 weeks to recover.
Who may benefit from concussion rehabilitation?
If your symptoms do not resolve within the first 7-10 days, you may be appropriate for concussion rehabilitation. Our rehabilitation therapists perform a thorough examination to create an individualized treatment program to facilitate a faster recovery and safe return to sports/work.
A concussion physical evaluation includes:
- Vestibular and ocular motor screening
- Positional vertigo testing
- Static and dynamic balance assessment
- Musculoskeletal assessment
- Exertional activity testing
- Neurocognitive testing including ImPACT computer testing
After a concussion, physical therapy aims to:
- Educate you on expectations in recovery
- Provide guidelines for rest and recovery
- Restore strength and endurance
- Eliminate dizziness and improves balance
- Reduce headaches
- Help you return to normal activity and/or sports
Learn about speech therapy for concussion rehabilitation.
CARS: Concussion, Access, Resource and Support
This group provides support for individuals who have experienced a concussion and their families. Meetings include education and discussion that provides an opportunity for attendees to collaborate by sharing experiences, strategies and concerns as well as offering support to one another.
Meets the second Wednesday of each month from 7-8 pm at the IMED building, 1331 W. 75th St. in Naperville.
Meetings will be held in the conference room on the main level. Attendees can park in the lot in front of the main entrance. The conference room is located to the left of the elevators.
For additional information or questions call 630-527-5468 or email Mara.Chiocca@EEHealth.org.
Meeting schedule for 2019