Back pain is one of the most common complaints, affecting as many as 80 percent of the population at some point. Low back pain has been called the "common cold" of the musculoskeletal system.
Taking care of your back and seeking early treatment can make a world of difference in your overall health. If left untreated, back pain often leads to higher medical costs, increased use of medication, surgery and lost time at work.
The important thing to know is that tissues heal, pain resolves and physical therapy is often the most effective, least expensive, and safest way to reduce or eliminate back pain.
Edward-Elmhurst Health physical therapy outcomes rank in the top 10 percent nationwide and with fewer visits than the average clinic, saving you money.
Our therapists are experts in the non-surgical treatment of back and spine injuries, whether it happened two days ago or two years ago. We help patients recover using education, hands-on physical therapy, and specific exercises to help prevent future problems. We work hard to match you with the right therapist at the right location for faster and more effective recovery.
Back, spine and neck conditions we treat
We help individuals with a wide range of conditions, including:
- Acute and chronic low back and neck pain
- Arthritic spine conditions
- Disc pathology
- Generalized neck, thoracic and/or low back pain
- Headaches, muscle tension headaches
- Joint and muscle pain
- Joint dysfunction
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Muscle strains, weakness and imbalance
- Spondylosis and spondylolisthesis
- Sports injury
- Pain management/chronic pain
- Pain extending into the arms or legs
- Postural dysfunction
- Post-surgical recovery (laminectomies, foraminotomies and fusions, disc replacements)
- Upper and lower extremity radicular symptoms
- Vertebral fractures
- Work-related spine pain/injury
- Stability training
- Mobility training
- Pain science education
- Functional activity training
- Body mechanics and ergonomic training
- Pain reducing modalities
- Schroth and McKenzie methods
Manual therapy includes:
- Joint mobilization and manipulation
- Graston/instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization
- Trigger point release
- Neural mobilizations
Learn more about orthopedic services at Edward-Elmhurst Health.