Whole Body Composition Test (DEXA)
$75 self-pay; no insurance accepted.
or contact (630) 527-3200 for an appointment; physician referral is required.
*Osteoporosis evaluation is not included and can be ordered separately by your physician.
The Whole Body Composition Test, or DEXA scan, provides an accurate, in-depth body composition analysis of your fat, muscle, bone and water mass. This can be used to identify health risks and pinpoint problems in the body before they occur.
For instance, the Whole Body Composition Test will show your visceral fat. Visceral fat surrounds your organs and can be linked to metabolic disturbances, such as breast cancer, cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes. These chronic conditions are influenced by genetics and hormones and can also be linked to higher cholesterol and insulin resistance.
The test will also show the exact location of your lean muscle mass. Evaluating and improving lean muscle mass is important for preventing osteoporosis, pathological conditions and chronic diseases.
How will the Whole Body Composition Test help you?
Knowing your percentage of overall fat, including the visceral fat, and muscle mass can:
- Help you to understand what dietary changes need to be added and/or removed from your lifestyle.
- Allow you to target specific areas of your body through exercise to increase muscle mass.
- Guide you and your healthcare providers in creating a healthy lifestyle plan designed just for you.
What is the Whole Body Composition Test process?
- 24 hours before your test, please stop use of calcium supplements.
- Stay well hydrated and preferably do not eat for three hours before your scan.
- The scan is an open design so patients can comfortably enjoy the test without feeling claustrophobic.
- It works by sending a low X-ray beam which is one-tenth the exposure of a dental X-ray.
- The scan takes about 15 minutes.
The test results can transform your nutrition and exercise routine to help you live your best life!
Next step to your lifestyle change
The Elmhurst Integrative Medicine Department offers a new multifaceted program that encompasses many therapies to help you reach your healthy lifestyle goals.
Schedule online now
Should you choose to use your Whole Body Composition Test results to learn more about your ideal weight, how many pounds you should lose, and how much muscle mass you need to gain, please make an appointment with the Integrative Medicine Medical Director at 331-221-1700. We’ll help you take the next step toward a healthier lifestyle.
Edward-Elmhurst Health also offers a DEXA Bone Density Scan, also called bone densitometry, to measure bone mineral density (BMD), most commonly in the spine, hips or wrists. It is the most accurate method available to diagnose osteoporosis, a disease that results in weak, brittle bones. This scan is not part of the Whole Body Composition test. Learn more about this test