Cardiac Innovations & Structural Heart Center®
Nation-leading heart care close to home
Edward-Elmhurst Health is consistently among the first in the state and the nation to introduce new and groundbreaking procedures for heart and vascular disease.
- We are the largest non-academic provider of cardiac surgery and cardiac interventional procedures in Illinois.
- We are ranked No. 2 in the state for the number of specialized cardiac interventional procedures performed, among both academic and non-academic providers of heart care.
- We are among the top 25 percent nationally in quality outcomes and volumes for specialized heart procedures.
The Cardiac Innovations & Structural Heart Center located in the Heart Hospital of Edward-Elmhurst Health brings the expertise and surgical innovation you'd expect from prestigious medical centers to the Chicagoland community — so you can stay close to family and friends while receiving comprehensive cardiovascular care.
Why choose us for your heart care?
Edward-Elmhurst Health is a leader in cardiac innovations and structural heart care.
Our heart care team performs highly specialized, complex heart procedures that are lifesaving for patients who have no other alternative for treatment. We train doctors from around the world on these procedures, teaching them the techniques and how to provide the high level of care we give our patients every day.
Our cardiac experts are also at the forefront of research and participate in many pioneering clinical trials. As such, we have become the premier destination for innovative cardiac care in the Midwest.
Highly specialized heart surgeries
Our cardiac experts treat a number of heart conditions with minimally invasive options. For patients who have been told traditional surgery is too risky, we provide lifesaving procedures that aren't available in most community hospitals, including:
- MitraClip® for patients with degenerative mitral regurgitation who are too sick for open-heart surgery. We are one of the first community hospitals in the Chicago area to use the device. We are one of only six hospitals in Illinois to offer MitraClip, and No. 1 in the state for the number of procedures performed.
- TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) minimally invasive surgical procedure for patients with severe aortic stenosis who are too high risk for traditional open-heart surgery. We are one of the first community hospitals in the Chicago area to perform TAVR, and second in Illinois for the number of TAVR procedures performed.
- WATCHMAN™ device to treat atrial fibrillation (AFib) and reduce stroke risk without the need for medication. We are the first community hospital in Illinois to offer the device, and we perform more of these procedures than any other provider in Illinois.
- Innovative options for chronic total occlusions (CTOs), or complete blockages. Our cardiac experts routinely train other doctors from around the world on minimally invasive procedures to treat CTOs and restore blood flow to the heart without open-heart surgery. We are ranked No. 1 in Illinois for the most CTO procedures performed, and we are the only community hospital in the world to participate in an international conference that features a live streaming of our CTO procedure.
- CardioMEMS™ wireless heart failure monitoring system that assists in monitoring pressures within the chambers of the heart before symptoms appear in heart failure patients. We are one of the first hospitals in the Chicago area to implant the device.
- LVAD (left ventricular assist device) surgically implanted system that takes over the pumping function of the heart's left ventricle. We are the only community hospital in the Chicago area to provide LVADs to non-transplant patients with advanced heart failure.
A high-risk cardiac patient's story of survival
After Helen Vaux suffered a heart attack, she was told she was out of options. Helen went to Edward Hospital, which she knew had the equipment and expertise for complex high-risk interventional procedures.
Read Helen's story of survival
National recognition for cardiac care
Edward Hospital in Naperville was named a Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital in the nation (Truven Analytics, 2016), and is ranked among the top 5 percent in the nation for overall cardiac services (Healthgrades, 2014 & 2015).
We also have been named to the list of "100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs" (Becker's Hospital Review, 2016), and recognized among 500 hospitals nationally for open-heart surgery performance, including coronary bypass surgery and aortic valve replacement (Consumer Reports, 2017).
For more information, call 630-527-3730.
Fill out our online form to request more information