Bariatric weight loss surgery
You CAN have the life you’ve always wanted
If your weight is putting you at risk or causing health problems, weight loss surgery can offer renewed hope. For many, it is a lifesaving procedure. But it is one that requires a life-changing commitment.
Our board-certified bariatric surgeons Mark Choh, M.D., Ryan Headley, M.D. and Wayne Yang, M.D., understand you and your weight loss goals are unique. We will work with you to determine if surgery is the right option for you and, if so, which procedure ensures you the least risk and most success. The surgeries we perform include:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: The stomach is separated into two sections with a special stapling device, creating a small pouch on top. This pouch holds 1-2 ounces of food and will become the new stomach.
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy: During this procedure, the surgeon removes about 85 percent of the stomach so that it takes the shape of a tube or sleeve, limiting the amount of food you can eat.
- Adjustable gastric band (Lap-Band): A saline-filled band is placed around the stomach, dividing the stomach into a small pouch on top, and restricting food intake. The band is adjustable.
Patient education video
Videos from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Are you a candidate for bariatric surgery?
Body mass index (BMI) is a ratio of body mass to body height that is used to determine if a person is overweight or obese. You may be a candidate for surgery if you have a BMI over 40, a BMI over 35 with obesity-related medical conditions, or a BMI over 35 (for Lab-Band only).
Calculate your BMI
Take the first step to freedom from obesity
Join us for one of our bariatric seminars to learn more about obesity and the role of bariatric surgery in weight loss.
When: 6 - 7:30 p.m., second and third Monday of each month
Where: Virtual (V) webinar or in person at Elmhurst (ELM) Hospital
Upcoming seminar dates:
- July 11, 2022 (ELM)
- July 18, 2022 (V)
- August 8, 2022 (ELM)
- August 15, 2022 (V)
- September 12, 2022 (ELM)
- September 19, 2022 (V)
- October 10, 2022 (ELM)
- October 17, 2022 (V)
- November 14, 2022 (ELM)
- November 21, 2022 (V)
- December 12, 2022 (ELM)
- December 19, 2022 (V)
Registration is required by calling 331-221-2273 or registering online.
Contact Endeavor Health® Weight Management at 331-221-6140 to learn more.
When: Second Wednesday of the month: 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Where: Elmhurst Center for Health, Suite 1240, 1200 S. York S, Elmhurst
Upcoming support group dates:
- Jul 13, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Aug 10, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Sep 14, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Oct 12, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Nov 09, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- Dec 14, 2022, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
RSVP: If you are interested in attending, please call 331-221-6140.