Elmhurst Hospital has maintained its straight-A streak in the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades with an A in the Spring 2022 edition of the Grades. Elmhurst Hospital is one of only three hospitals in Illinois and 22 in the country to receive As in every grading period since the program began in Spring 2012.
Edward Hospital in Naperville earned a B. Edward and Elmhurst Hospitals are part of the Edward-Elmhurst Health system. To see details of both hospitals' grades, visit www.HospitalSafetyGrade.org.
The Leapfrog Group, an independent national watchdog organization, awards As to those hospitals that achieve the highest national standards in patient safety. Leapfrog assigns A, B, C, D or F grades to all general hospitals across the country. To determine the grades, more than 30 measures of safety data are used, including rates of preventable errors, injuries and infections, while also accounting for whether hospitals have systems in place to protect patients from harm.
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade is the only hospital ratings program based exclusively on prevention of medical errors and harm to patients. The grading system is peer-reviewed, fully transparent and free to the public. Grades are updated twice annually, in the fall and spring.
"We're able to maintain the straight-A streak because every person in the organization is a safety leader, everybody is involved in providing safe care to our patients," says Pamela Dunley, President & CEO, Elmhurst Hospital. "We're very proud to be among the few hospitals remaining on the straight-A list, but most importantly, it's an indication to our community that there is no safer place for their healthcare than Elmhurst Hospital."
The extension of the straight-A streak in the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades is one of several honors, awards and recognitions related to quality and safety Elmhurst Hospital has achieved recently:
- In 2020 and 2021, Fortune/IBM Watson Health named Elmhurst Hospital to its list of 100 Top Hospitals in the U.S. Elmhurst Hospital was ranked No. 1 in the Large Community Hospitals category.
- Elmhurst Hospital achieved redesignation in 2020 as a Magnet hospital for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its original designation was in 2015.
- Elmhurst Hospital's Emergency Department was named a 2020 recipient of the Emergency Nurses Association Lantern Award.
- Elmhurst Hospital earned five stars in the 2021 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Overall Hospital Quality Star Ratings.
- Elmhurst Hospital earned the Healthgrades 2021 Outstanding Patient Experience Award (top 10 percent of U.S. hospitals).
- In 2021, Elmhurst Hospital was named as one of Healthgrades' America's 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care.
- Elmhurst Hospital was named to U.S. News & World Report's 2021-22 list of Best Hospitals for Maternity Care.
To learn more about patient safety and quality of care at Edward-Elmhurst Health, visit www.EEHealth.org/about-us/awards.