For the 20th consecutive time, The Leapfrog Group, an independent national watchdog organization, has awarded Elmhurst Hospital an “A” Hospital Safety Grade for achieving the highest national standards in patient safety.
Elmhurst Hospital is one of only 23 hospitals in the United States to be awarded an “A” in every grading cycle since 2012. This “A” is for Leapfrog’s Fall 2021 Hospital Safety Grades. To see details, visit www.hospitalsafetygrade.org.
Leapfrog assigns an A, B, C, D or F grade to all general hospitals across the country. The grade uses more than 30 measures of safety data including rates of preventable errors, injuries and infections, while also accounting for whether hospitals have systems in place to protect patients from harm.
“We’re proud and honored to maintain our place on the Leapfrog Straight-A list,” says Mary Lou Mastro, System CEO, Edward-Elmhurst Health. “It’s a badge of honor and means our patients are receiving the optimal level of care from our staff because of the commitment to safety that’s part of the culture at Edward-Elmhurst Health.”
The Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade is the only hospital ratings program based exclusively on hospital prevention of medical errors and harms to patients. The grading system is peer-reviewed, fully transparent and free to the public. Grades are updated twice annually, in the fall and spring.
The extension of Elmhurst Hospital’s Straight-A streak in the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades is one of several honors, awards and recognitions related to quality and safety achieved by Elmhurst Hospital, Edward Hospital and Edward-Elmhurst Health over the last year:
- For the third year in a row, Fortune/IBM Watson Health named Edward-Elmhurst Health one of the nation’s 15 Top Health Systems (2021).
- For the second year in a row, Fortune/IBM Watson Health named Edward and Elmhurst Hospitals to its list of 100 Top Hospitals in the U.S. Elmhurst Hospital was ranked No. 1 and Edward Hospital was ranked No. 7 in the Large Community Hospitals category (2021).
- Elmhurst Hospital achieved redesignation as a Magnet hospital for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center in 2020. Its original designation was in 2015.
- Elmhurst and Edward Hospitals received five stars in the updated Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Overall Hospital Quality Star Ratings (2021).
- Edward-Elmhurst Health earned 2021 CHIME Digital Health Most Wired Level 8 Acute and Level 8 Ambulatory recognition. Edward-Elmhurst was previously recognized in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020.
To learn more about patient safety and quality of care at Edward-Elmhurst Health, visit www.EEHealth.org/about-us/awards.