Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an evidenced-based public education program that teaches people how to help someone with a mental health problem or crisis. Mental Health First Aid focuses on skills that can be used until professional help is available.
Mental Health First Aid teaches participants to identify people who may need help with a mental illness, effectively communicate with them, and guide them to appropriate professional help. The goal of this training is to make responding to a mental health crisis as common as using CPR in a cardiac emergency.
Some of the people who take Mental Health First Aid training include:
- Educators/school administrators
- College/university leaders
- Human resources professionals
- Members of faith communities
- Homeless shelter staff and volunteers
- Nurses/physician assistants/primary care workers
- Police/first responders/security personnel
- Mental health authorities
- Substance abuse professionals
- Social workers
- Consumers and family members
- Caring citizens
MHFA training classes
Did you know that you’re more likely to encounter a person in an emotional or mental crisis than someone having a heart attack? By attending a MHFA training you can learn how to to identify and help someone who is facing a mental health crisis.
We offer MHFA training classes that our open to the public for a nominal fee as well as classes for independent organizations/companies/schools.
MHFA Trainings- Open to the Public Classes
For organizations/companies/schools interested in setting up a MHFA training at their site, call 630-646-5158 or email email@example.com.
Mental Health First Aid talk show
The Mental Health First Aid talk show is a pre-recorded 30-minute show on mental health topics. The show discusses current mental/behavioral health topics and treatment. Learn more about Mental Health First Aid in this YouTube video series.
MHFA consortium instructors
Many people ask how they can become a MHFA instructor. The Linden Oaks Behavioral Health team is one of the first organizations in the Midwest trained to teach Mental Health First Aid. As trainers, our goal is to make responding to a mental health crisis as common as using CPR in a cardiac emergency.
The MHFA Consortium is comprised of organizations that have designated specific employees to be MHFA instructors.
For more information on becoming a Mental Health First Aid instructor, visit Mental Health First Aid.
Upon receiving your instructor certification, if you are interested in becoming a part of our consortium of instructors, contact us at 630-646-5158 or connect via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MHFA Calendar- Open to the Public Classes
Mental Health First Aid for Older Adults: Saturday, December 2, 2023 from 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Description: Whether you need to assist today or years from now, this certification gives you the confidence you need to have the conversations that will allow older adults to live as comfortably and independently as possible.
- To register: https://120223oemhfa.eventbrite.com
Mental Health First Aid: Blended Learning – Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 10:00am - 4:30pm
- Description: Participants will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course prior to the In-Person Instructor Led class being held on Saturday, December 9, 2023 from 10:00am to 4:30pm at Linden Oaks Behavioral Health9697 W 191st Street, Education Center, Mokena, IL, 60448
- To register: https://120923bmhfa.eventbrite.com
Virtual Mental Health First Aid – Wednesday, December 13th from 3:00pm – 9:00pm
- Description: Participants will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course prior to the virtual instructor led class on Wednesday, December 13th from 3:00pm – 9:00pm via ZOOM.
- To register: https://121323vmhfa.eventbrite.com/
Youth Mental Health First Aid – Thursday, January 11, 2023 from 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Description: Participants will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course prior to the In-Person Instructor Led class being held Thursday, January 11, 2023 from 4:00pm-9:00pm
- To register: https://111124ymhfa.eventbrite.com
Virtual Youth Mental Health First Aid: Blended Learning – Thursday, January 25, 2024 from 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Description: Participants will complete a 2-hour, self-paced online course prior to VIRTUAL Instructor Led being held on Thursday, January 25, 2024 from 4:00pm - 9:00pm via ZOOM.
- To register: https://012524vymhfa.eventbrite.com
Linden Oaks locations