Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois has recognized Edward Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital as Blue Distinction® Centers for Maternity Care, as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program.
The designations signify that the maternity department at each hospital met nationally established selection criteria by demonstrating expertise in delivering quality specialty care, safely and effectively. Hospitals designated as Blue Distinction Centers for Maternity Care demonstrate expertise in addressing factors such as preventable or treatable pregnancy-related conditions, high utilization of Caesarean sections, and racial and ethnic disparities in maternal healthcare.
“Edward-Elmhurst Health provides unmatched quality of care and safety,” says Pat Bradley, System Director, Women’s Services, Edward-Elmhurst Health. “We’re committed to providing a safe, optimal birthing experience geared toward individual needs and preferences because that’s what every new mom deserves.”
Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated healthcare facilities shown to deliver improved patient safety and better health outcomes, based on objective measures that were developed by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies with input from the medical community. Research shows that, compared to other providers, those designated as Blue Distinction Centers demonstrate better quality and improved outcomes for patients.
This commitment to quality is reflected in Edward-Elmhurst Health’s designations and certifications: Joint Commission accreditation, Magnet® recognition for excellence in nursing, Leapfrog Group’s 2020 Hospital Safety Grades “A” (Elmhurst), IBM Watson’s 15 Top Health Systems 2020, Level III NICU (Edward) and Level IIe Special Care Nursery (Elmhurst).
In addition, Edward and Elmhurst Hospitals have been recognized for reducing the number of elective deliveries performed before 39 weeks of pregnancy by the March of Dimes, Illinois Perinatal Quality Collaborative and Illinois Hospital Association.
Edward Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital provide:
- Innovative, specialized treatment: Access to ultra-innovative technology, enhanced birthing methods and specialized care for high-risk births and multiples.
- Medical expertise: Dedicated birthing teams, including board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists, specially trained nurses and nationally certified midwives, who are advanced practice nurses.
- Personalized care: A nurse is assigned for one-on-one during active labor to listen to patients and let them guide their birthing plan.
- Comfortable private rooms: Private, deluxe, fully equipped birthing suites and mother/baby rooms.
- Fully-equipped nurseries: Access to the highest level of care provided in the Level III Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Edward Hospital and extended capabilities in the Level IIe Special Care Nursery at Elmhurst Hospital.
- Helpful resources: Access to a variety of classes and support groups to help prepare for pregnancy, childbirth and newborn care.
For more information about BlueCross BlueShield Blue Distinction, visit www.bcbs.com/about-us/capabilities-initiatives/blue-distinction.
For more information about maternity care at Edward-Elmhurst Health, visit www.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby.