The Elmhurst Memorial Hospital Foundation has awarded $18,000 in Teen Volunteer Health Profession Scholarships to nine area high school students who volunteer at Elmhurst Hospital and plan to pursue careers in a health-related field.
Each of the recipients received $2,000 through the Foundation’s Teen Volunteer Health Profession Scholarship program. Funds for this year’s scholarships were raised through the Foundation’s annual Reindeer Route House Walk.
Recipients, their high schools and areas of study/occupation:
• Gracie Chiampas, York (Elmhurst), Medical Examiner
• Feba Elayadom, York, Trauma Surgeon
• Maaria Firdaus, College Preparatory School of America (Lombard), Physician
• Suraiya Hashmi, College Preparatory School of America, Physician
• Claire Kawiecki, Riverside-Brookfield, Biomedical Engineer
• Nicole Mendez, West Leyden (Melrose Park), Biomedical Engineer
• Sidra Rehman, College Preparatory School of America, Medicine
• Umar Siddiqi, Islamic Foundation (Elmhurst), Physician
• Amy Vincent, York, Nurse
Elmhurst Hospital teen volunteers must meet a rigorous set of criteria to qualify for a scholarship, including scholastic achievements, minimum 160 hours of volunteer service in the hospital, strong performance evaluations from the Volunteer Department, community service and pursuit of a career in a health-related field.