The Edward Foundation has awarded $40,000 in nursing scholarships to 12 Edward Hospital employees who are pursuing a degree or advanced degree in nursing. The employees were recognized at a luncheon on Dec. 5 at Edward Hospital.
The Foundation awarded $10,000 Peter Veit Scholarships to Marie Spitzer of Woodridge, a registered nurse (RN) in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Christine Yaeger, RN, Plainfield, a clinical nurse educator.
Veit, who passed away in 2014 at age 86, created the scholarship fund in his name with a $120,000 gift to the Foundation following the care he received from the Edward nursing staff.
A $2,000 Agnes A. Book Memorial Nursing Scholarship was awarded to Samantha Gloodt, Joliet, a patient care technician (PCT) and certified respiratory therapist.
The annual scholarship comes from a fund established by the Book family in memory of their mother, who was a nurse at Edward for more than 20 years.
The Foundation awarded $2,000 nursing scholarships to nine Edward employees:
- Laura Badur, RN, Cardiac Telemetry Unit (CTU) 8, Naperville
- Kimberly Humiston, RN, clinical nurse educator, Woodridge
- Amy Kubly, RN, CTU 2, Plainfield
- Marina Marmolejo, PCT, Medical Oncology, Plainfield
- Michelle dela Pena, RN, Cardiographics, Montgomery
- Huyen Rago, RN, CTU 7, Wheaton
- Lisa Thiltgen, RN, Emergency Dept., Oswego
- Trisha Walker, RN, CTU 3, Lockport
- Ashley Walsh, RN, Pediatrics/Pediatric ICU, Aurora
Since it was established in 1990, the Edward Foundation has raised more than $49.9 million in its mission to support Edward Hospital’s community healthcare initiatives, invest in the most advanced diagnostic and treatment technology, recruit world-class medical professionals and deliver the highest quality care to almost 1.7 million patients within the area it serves. To make a donation to or for more information about the Foundation, call (630) 527-3954 or visit www.edwardfoundation.org.