Edward-Elmhurst Health is the first hospital or health system in the Chicago area and among the first in the nation to provide an online cost estimator tool to help patients plan their healthcare expenses.
The cost estimator tool, available on the Edward-Elmhurst website at www.EEHealth.org/cost-estimator, is part of the system’s Consumer Driven Health strategy, which emphasizes making healthcare convenient, accessible and transparent for patients and their families.
“Hospitals have notoriously been behind on pricing transparency compared to other industries,” says Mary Lou Mastro, System CEO, Edward-Elmhurst Health. “We owe it to our customers to take the mystery out of the process and provide this information so they can make more informed decisions for their healthcare.”
The tool is accessible on any device – smartphone, tablet, laptop/desktop computer. It provides estimated prices for services offered by Edward and Elmhurst Hospitals. After selecting the hospital, the cost estimator calculates the out-of-pocket cost following completion of three simple steps:
- Enter insurance information (or select self pay for uninsured patients)
- Choose a service category
- Choose a procedure
The tool provides cost estimates for MRIs, CT scans, CTAs (computed tomographic angiography), ultrasounds, X-Rays, cardiac testing, mammographies, bone density testing and lab services.
For patients with insurance, a cost estimate is determined based on any remaining balance to meet the insurance plan’s deductible, coinsurance percentage and any copay requirements, along with the insurance plan’s allowable amount (also referred to as the negotiated contract rates) for the requested procedure.
The tool currently does not provide cost estimates for inpatient stays, observation stays/visits, ER visits, Immediate Care visits or professional fees (separate charges from affiliated providers, such as radiologists and anesthesiologists). Additional tests and procedures will be added to the cost estimator tool in the near future.
To get an estimate for a test or procedure that’s not listed on the cost estimator tool, patients can call (630) 527-3200 for services at Edward and Elmhurst Hospitals, and (630) 305-5027 for Linden Oaks Behavioral Health.
The cost estimator tool is just one of many online services Edward-Elmhurst Health offers to ensure more convenient and easier-to-access healthcare for its patients. Others include:
- MyChart patient portal (https://mychart.EEHealth.org): Available online and via mobile app, patients can communicate with their doctor, manage appointments, access test results, request prescription renewals and more.
- Real-time online scheduling for doctor visits and tests: New and current patients can visit www.EEHealth.org/make-an-appointment to schedule an appointment with one of nearly 200 physicians, physician assistants or advance practice clinicians with Edward Medical Group, Elmhurst Clinic, Elmhurst Medical Associates and Elmhurst Memorial Medical Group. Patients can also schedule lab tests, mammograms, heart scans and other procedures.
- Real-time Wait Times: Available for ER, Immediate Care and Walk-In Clinics at www.EEHealth.org
- HealthAware (www.EEHealth.org/health-aware): Free, online assessments measure risk for addiction, anxiety, breast cancer, colon cancer, depression, diabetes, heart disease, lung cancer, sleep disorders and stroke.
Edward-Elmhurst Health, which includes Edward Hospital, Elmhurst Hospital and Linden Oaks Behavioral Health, is a system with annual revenues of more than $1.3 billion, more than 60 outpatient locations across a service area of 1.7 million residents in the west and southwest suburbs of Chicago, 2,000 physicians on staff, nearly 8,500 employees, including 1,900 nurses, plus 1,300 volunteers. For more information, visit www.EEHealth.org.